History Of A Landmark
Thu December 20, 2012
The Rise And Fall Of The Purple Hotel
In suburban Chicago, there’s a landmark building that stands out from all the others. The most obvious reason the building stands out is its color — it’s purple. Really purple. The other, less obvious reason the building stands out? It was once the swankiest hotel in the area, hosting everyone from Michael Jordan to Barry Manilow. Then, it slowly became the most notorious building in the area, for hosting … less swanky people and events. Independent producer Roman Mars brings us the surprising history of the purple hotel.
Other Stories On KUOW Presents:
- "Santa" And "Budget" Can Coexist
- The Many Meanings Of "Chips Funga"
- When "Unfilmable" Books Make Memorable Movies
- Tom Wolfe On "Back To Blood"
- Crown The King: Red Takes Black
- Writer's Almanac
- The Father Book
- Celebrating Christmas On The Air (starts 36:00 minutes into the show)
- Animals And Their Humans