In the decades leading up to the civil war, white Americans uncomfortable with the rising numbers of free blacks came up with a plan. Get rid of them. Specifically, convince them to resettle in Liberia. It was America's original "self-deportation" scheme. But things didn't go exactly according to plan.
List of stories from KUOW Presents, May 15:
- The Afghan Army Says It's Ready To Stand Alone
- Malcolm Shabazz, Grandson of Malcolm X, Remembered
- Nuke TV
- Young Tunisians Leaving Home To Fight In Faraway Syrian War
- Liberia: The Original American Self-Deportation Scheme
- Colleen McElroy On "Crossing Oceans"
- Canada Launches Ad Campaign To Sell Oil Sands To US Decision Makers As Green Energy Source
- Writer's Almanac
- Poet Colleen McElroy On "Crossing Oceans"
- The Cost Of Health Care
- Elizabeth Becker Talks Big-Business Of Travel And Tourism