The idea of the “boom town” – a town that suddenly springs up or expands to support a lucrative operation nearby – may seem like something straight out of the Gold Rush days of the mid and late 1800s. But thanks to oil drilling, Williston, North Dakota, has quickly become a modern-day boom town. Resident and reporter Todd Melby tells APM’s Dick Gordon about life in a 21st century boom town.
Other Stories From KUOW Presents on January 14, 2013:
- Disneyland Surveillance
- Mexico Aims To Save Babies And Moms With Modern Midwifery
- Elizabeth Mahon On Women Scoundrels
- Gloria Grow On Creating A Sanctuary For Research Chimpanzees
- Curator and Contemporary Thinker Yoko Ott
- Writer's Almanac
- Breaking The Silence Around Suicide
- The Golden Globe Awards
- Should We Legalize All Drugs?