Some people wake up in the morning refreshed, climb out of bed and exercise and others, well, don't. Even though science proves that exercise is beneficial to your mental and physical health, millions of Americans will never hit the gym. Here are five fitness tips for the more sedentary among us from fitness expert Dan Tripps, director of the Center for the Study of Sports and Exercise at Seattle University.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Take breaks during your work day to go on short walks.
- Get an exercise buddy to help make working out fun, and to hold you accountable!
- Harder isn’t always better: Listen to your body, do not over do your first few weeks of activity to prevent injury. Start slow and gradually increase intensity.
- Be consistent! Do not give up. Once you become more physically active in your day-to-day life, it is easier to exercise regularly.
Were you hoping that he was going to say eat at your desk? I know I was ...