Skip to main content

Authorities clear Highline College; no evidence of shooting

Enlarge Icon
Slideshow Icon1 of 6Police officers walk through a parking lot on Friday, Feb. 16, 2018, after clearing Highline College due to reports of gun shots in Des Moines. Tap or click on the first image to see more.
Credit: KUOW Photo/Megan Farmer

Highline College has gotten the all-clear from authorities.

The community college in Des Moines, Washington went into lockdown shortly after 9 a.m. Friday after reports of suspected gunfire.

The campus remained on lockdown for nearly three hours while police responded.

Kyle Ohashi with Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority told KUOW that no evidence of a shooter on campus had been found, such as shell casings, holes in the walls or victims.

Ohashi said the source of the sound of gunfire that witnesses reported is being investigated.

Authorities went building by building to search for people who could have been hiding.

A reunification site was set up at a nearby Lowes parking lot on Pacific Highway.

Classes are canceled for the rest of the day at Highline.

Last updated: 2/16/18, 11:44 a.m.

Why you can trust KUOW
Close
On Air Shows

Print

Print

Play Audio
 Live Now On KUOW
BBC World Service
Next: Morning Edition in 3 hours
On Air Shows

Print

Print

Play Audio
Local Newscast
The Latest
View All
    Play Audio