It’s going to be a pachyderm Christmas in Seattle.
Monday at Seattle City Hall, the group Friends of Woodland Park Zoo Elephants will be caroling on behalf of Chai and Bamboo, the zoo's Asian elephants which will be leaving us soon when their exhibit closes.
Woodland Park Zoo wants to send the elephants to another zoo. But the group wants them to go to a wildlife sanctuary instead.
The carolers will try to rally Mayor Ed Murray to their side by walking throughout City Hall singing what they call “Christmas songs, reworded to promote Bamboo and Chai’s retirement to a sanctuary.”
Week In Review host Bill Radke suggested some titles for the carolers:
- “Rudolph the Lesser Known Red Nosed Elephant”
- “Grandma Is Lucky She Only Got Run Over By A Reindeer”
- “Keep Me Away from A Manger Because There's A Baby In There and That's Unsafe”
- “All Drummer Boys Are Little To Me”
- “Please God, Don't Let It Snow, Don't Let It Snow, Would It Kill You To Send Me Someplace Warm?”
Friends on Facebook added their own suggestions:
- "I'm Dreaming Of A White Elephant"
- "I'll Have A Poo Christmas"
- "Have A Holly, Jolly Life In Servitude"
- "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Or So We've Heard, It Really Doesn't Mean Anything To Us Seeing As How We Are Elephants"
- "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Rapidly Dwindling Habitat"
- "I Saw Mommy Artificially Inseminating Santa Claus"