Intro to Radio Journalism Workshop
RadioActive Summer Session // July 1 - August 16, 2019
We encourage you to apply early! The application process will become more competitive after the first deadline passes.
- Early deadline: 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, March 5
- Final deadline: 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, April 30
YOU SHOULD APPLY IF
- You are 15-18 years old.
- You're excited to use media to tell true stories. You're engaged in the world. You're curious and always asking questions. You love writing and want to try telling stories through sound.
- You want to share all sides of the story as a journalist — this workshop is NOT a platform to promote a cause, organization, or point of view
- You're ready to try new things: No broadcasting or journalism experience required!
WHEN AND WHERE
- The workshop runs from Monday, July 1 - Friday, August 16, 2019. We won’t meet on July 4 and July 5. There is a mandatory orientation meeting on Monday, June 24.
- Workshop meetings take place Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. You may need to put in additional time to complete assignments – expect to work up to 40 hours a week.
- We’ll meet at KUOW’s studios on 45th & University Way NE, in the University District; accessible by multiple bus routes and a 25 minute walk or short bus ride from Link Lightrail (UW station).
- We’ll have a public celebration after the last day of the workshop – you’ll help plan the party!
- Come on time and stay for the whole workshop. Attendance to ALL meetings is mandatory.
- Complete work on time (you’ll need to put in extra work outside of workshop hours). Work on your own and in small groups. Have fun, be creative, take risks!
WHAT YOU'LL GET OUT OF THIS WORKSHOP
- Improve your communications skills: writing, listening, and talking to people. Build your confidence and leadership skills.
- Work with professional journalists. Develop time management skills and meet deadlines in a professional setting. Learn how to give and receive feedback in a collaborative and creative environment.
- Be part of a supportive, collaborative, fun group of teens. Gain mentors to support your career and education path.
- We provide lots of snacks and Orca cards as needed. By finishing this workshop, you earn the opportunity to keep making radio at KUOW as an advanced producer.
- For successfully completing the workshop, you'll earn $1,200!