Req #: 179999
Department: KUOW / PSPR
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Posting Date: 06/23/2020
Closing Info: Open Until Filled
Salary: Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Shift: First Shift
You are an experienced team leader and news producer. You have a deep curiosity about local news, and you’re always hungry for original stories, unique angles, and perspectives from underrepresented voices. You’re a team builder, who listens closely, offers direct feedback, and has a track record of mentoring other journalists. Sound like you? If so, we would love to meet you.
KUOW is committed to acquiring a diversity of perspectives and voices to realize our aspirations. We believe that attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving the communities where we work and live. We are dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment that promotes equity and inclusivity.
If you share our values, join the KUOW team. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coaches and directs production team to deliver segments on a daily basis.
- Seeks out new voices to appear on air, develops local sources.
- Sets and tracks quantitative and qualitative targets for source diversity
- Conceptualizes and plans long-term and special coverage.
- Edits Producer and Host content for broadcast as assigned.
- Develops pitches and researches topics.
- Pre-interviews and books guests, provides hosts with background research.
- Writes host introductions and interview questions.
- First-responder in breaking news situations that my require evening and weekend work.
- Gathers sound, conducts interviews in the field as assigned.
- Directs or call-screens live program segments as assigned.
- Interacts with audience via social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook.
- May develop and write online posts and broadcast spots of program content.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supervises team of three producers on The Record.
- Bachelor's degree and three years of professional broadcast journalism experience of increasing responsibility, with background in talk programming and radio production.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, ability to write and produce effectively under deadline.
- Demonstrated high productivity and knowledge of professional broadcast and journalistic standards and practices.
- Knowledge of current events and Northwest issues.
- Demonstrated news judgment and ability to prioritize coverage.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, ability to professionally represent the station.
- Familiarity with and appreciation of public radio programming.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
Competitive salary plus outstanding University of Washington benefits.