Online Editor / Producer
Req #: 171489
Department: KUOW / PSPR
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Job Location Detail: U District
Posting Date: 09/04/2019
Closing Info: Closes On 10/06/2019
Salary: $5,084/month minimum salary
Union Position: Yes
Shift: First Shift
KUOW, licensed to the University of Washington, is the Puget Sound Region’s NPR-affiliated public radio service delivering local, regional, national and international news, information and cultural programming. With an audience of over one million users each month, KUOW’s mission is to create and serve a more informed public. Our vision is to broaden conversations and deepen understanding. KUOW strives to be the finest possible provider of news—both from within our region and beyond. To help in this mission, KUOW has an outstanding opportunity for an Online Editor/Producer.
Reporting to the Online Managing Editor, this position will edit stories, identify visuals and write compelling headlines for KUOW.org.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Edit a range of stories submitted by reporters.
- Work with radio reporters on presenting their stories online.
- Identify or craft visual opportunities for stories.
- Write effective headlines and engage in headline brainstorming.
- Flesh out audio interviews into written stories.
- Contribute content to social channels.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- News editing experience.
- Self-starter who can troubleshoot problems.
- Impeccable journalistic integrity and editorial judgment.
- Ability to manage several projects concurrently.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and to professionally represent the station.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Ability to direct breaking news on web.
- Ability to work one weekend day a week.
- Understanding of photo copyright law.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington and KUOW will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.