Director of Business Support
Req #: 165801
Department: KUOW / PSPR
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Posting Date: 05/17/2019
Closing Info: Open Until Filled
Salary: Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Shift: First Shift
The Director of Business Support leads the station’s business sponsorship (public radio's version of advertising) revenue strategy, building the organization’s ability to deliver customized and off-the-shelf offerings to sponsorship prospects (and/or their representative agencies or corporate foundations) across multiple media platforms for KUOW’s local sales teams and the national sales unit.
The Director of Business Support serves as a “revenue evangelist” and sales leader for the organization, working collaboratively with key constituents internally and externally to drive growth in a manner consistent with the station’s mission.
The station serves its audiences through broadcast, digital/web, mobile, social media and events. This position’s responsibility is to retain commitments from current sponsors and significantly propel forward the organization’s ability to market and deliver across all platforms to attract new support.
The Director of Business Support is responsible for attaining station budget goals and maximizing the market’s potential for sponsorship sales revenues. S/he will take a strategic approach to new media; collaborate with KUOW’s Chief Content Officer and the Chief Marketing Officer to analyze/synthesize research data and audience behaviors, assess potential matches for support of general and specific content offerings, design and implement an overall market strategy including sales materials; effectively develop and manage KUOW’s sales team and our national rep firm: National Public Media.
As the audience for KUOW’s content migrates from broadcast to digital platforms, a keen strategic focus on developing digital revenue will be critical to our continued success. The Director of Business Support will drive the station’s strategy to maximize revenue through innovative digital products.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Direct the local, regional, national, and digital sales account executives responsible for radio, digital media products, events and special projects. (20%)
Develop, communicate and execute the vision for the department in adherence to the financial assumptions of the KUOW Strategic Business Plan and in collaboration with KUOW senior leadership (20%)
Develop and execute near- and long-term revenue strategy and planning, including an annual operating plan. Package media assets that prove attractive to new and existing clients. Assign, direct and monitor all appropriate tactics for new business generation. (20%)
Execute the strategies necessary to stay on top of business clients’ changing needs, market forces, etc. toward a goal of minimizing threats and preempting competitor encroachment. The Director is expected to exhibit a highly competitive stance, to leverage KUOW’s dominance over competitors. (20%)
Provide daily oversight of the business support department for local and national clients; train, supervise and coach account executives; assign accounts, set goals, monitor inventory, direct price/inventory strategies toward the goal of maximizing revenue; develop sponsorship packages and maintain communication/collaboration with the KUOW Content and Marketing divisions in a continuous search for marketable products. (10%)
Develop and maintain responsibility for the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of the department; develop and monitor revenue pipeline including specific tactics and account executive quotas; hold team members accountable for bottom-line goals. (10%)
Specifically, the above entails:
- Providing professional development support, coaching and motivation toward the account representatives’ success in discovering and interpreting prospect/client business objectives, mission, marketing & community relations activities, goals and priorities. Foster a high-energy, collaborative culture that motivates strong performance and team spirit.
- Implementing appropriate strategies to enhance productivity and drive new growth initiatives Managing sales and client service, including client stewardship and special incentive programs such as the “underwriter testimonials”
- Having direct contact with clients where appropriate; assist account representatives in “deal closing” when necessary.
- Analyzing and synthesizing audience and market research along with KUOW activities on an ongoing basis to aid in proposals
- Maintaining compliance with FCC rules and regulations regarding sponsorship agreements and credit wording; review/ approve client proposals and copy prepared by account representatives; negotiate with Programming and assist in resolution of copy challenges and/or contentious situations where a current or prospective client is in the news.
- Participate in strategic planning, revenue development and budget planning and preparation, marketing, community outreach and special event activities.
- Lead a team comprised of account representatives and operational support staff.
Additionally, this position will:
- Work with the Director of Development to cultivate high-level opportunities with corporate major accounts and their foundations.
- Direct sales processes including forecasting, tracking and collaboration with other KUOW departments to achieve budget goals.
- Develop equitable processes for account distribution and implement practices to raise level of productivity.
- Direct marketing strategies to enhance presentations and provide pricing strategies for all segments.
- Develop close internal working relationships with the Chief Content Officer and other managers (e.g. the head of Community Engagement) in order to creatively position current and new programs and products effectively.
- Be the Business Support ‘voice’ during the development of digital platforms and assist with the rollout of new digital ad products to ensure that digital campaigns are executed in line with IAB standards
- For digital campaigns, ensure that sales team gathers usable digital assets, submits campaigns, monitors delivery and shares appropriate reporting
- Provide forecasts, annual plan development, budget and revenue goal tracking by product and platform; expense; and barter policies and practices
- Oversee traffic, inventory management, pricing strategies, measurement and reporting systems
- Be a primary contact to KUOW’s partner relationships within the media community (American Public Media, NPR, PRI, etc.) as they relate to collaboration and coordination of local and national media sponsorships
- Manage KUOW’s trade business in accordance with policy
- Bachelor's degree in a related field such as Business, Marketing and/or Communications or equivalent experience
- Seven years’ experience managing media sales (radio/print/digital) with a demonstrated track record of strategic thinking, attaining aggressive goals and managing/growing a team of sales professionals.
- In-depth knowledge of advertising agencies and national sales
- Experience selling and executing digital campaigns. A working knowledge of key metrics (CTRs, impressions, open rates) and common workflows
- Demonstrated ability to value media assets and package in a compelling way
- Advanced understanding of and experience in utilizing traffic and inventory management systems, research tools, CRM applications, e.g., Sales Force, Marketron, Nielsen, Scarborough
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Familiarity with, appreciation of, experience in public media.