Req #: 171152
Department: KUOW / PSPR
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Job Location Detail: U District
Posting Date: 08/21/2019
Closing Info: Closes On 09/22/2019
Salary: $5500/month minimum salary
Union Position: Yes
Shift: First Shift
KUOW, licensed to the University of Washington, is the Puget Sound Region’s NPR-affiliated public radio service delivering local, regional, national and international news, information and cultural programming. With an audience of over one million users each month, KUOW’s mission is to create and serve a more informed public. Our vision is to broaden conversations and deepen understanding. KUOW strives to be the finest possible provider of news—both from within our region and beyond. To help in this mission, KUOW has an outstanding opportunity for a Digital Reporter I.
Reporting to the Online Managing Editor, this position will work with the online team of the KUOW newsroom to produce enterprise news reports to post to the KUOW website.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify and craft deeply reported digital stories.
- Break news for digital first consumption.
- When needed, identify and craft deeply reported stories.
- Work with news hosts to prepare on-air interviews about stories published online.
- Occasionally appear on KUOW talk shows and at live events to present and discuss reporting.
- Active engagement with social media and source networks as a reporting and distribution tool.
- Contribute to social media platforms.
- Occasional evening and weekend work.
- Work closely with editors and content producers in creating plans that articulate a vision and strategy for coverage.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of professional journalism experience.
- Background in news writing.
- Track record of producing enterprise stories with impact.
- Self-starter with proven ability to meet deadlines and check facts.
- Impeccable journalistic integrity and editorial judgment.
- Ability to manage several projects concurrently.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and to professionally represent the station.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.