Senior Director, Digital Product
KUOW invites you to create and lead a new division as Senior Director of Digital Product. You are an expert in leveraging digital technology for the public good. The work will be fast-paced and varied, starting with you building a team of product champions for content, philanthropy, sponsorship sales and marketing. You will be customer-centric, translating priorities into deliverables from external vendors and building customized solutions. Join us to inspire and lead a digital strategy that will advance KUOW’s mission.
This is a transformational role. The Senior Director, Digital Product serves as a digital thought-leader and expert, and also a general manager responsible for overseeing a team of Product Managers and a portfolio of digital services, projects and programs. These services are increasingly fundamental to KUOW’s operations spanning a wide range of delivery mechanisms, including on-air broadcasts, podcasts and other digital media and member-focused services.
They are responsible for ensuring Digital Technology Product Managers define a portfolio that meets business needs across Content, Development, Marketing, and Business Revenue & Sponsorship. This person will lead their team through the definition and delivery of the digital roadmap for all business units. They will coach their team through ideation for new tools, expand current capabilities and ensure we’re pushing the bounds of creativity and innovation.
They will work cross-functionally with the station’s senior management team and key stakeholders to set objectives, priorities and performance indicators, making appropriate trade offs and measuring the success of the team’s initiatives to ensure our digital investments perform at the highest level and generate a clear return on investment for the organization.
This position requires both executive-level thinking and a willingness to roll up sleeves and do what needs to be done. The Senior Director should have a track record with extensive experience managing the development, launch, and management of significant high-profile digital solutions/programs/platforms as well as a strong interest in news/media. Additionally, experience in identifying, creating and managing vendor-based collaborative and outsourced solutions would be helpful as solutions involving cloud-based technologies continue to grow.
This person reports to the President/General Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Defines Strategic Vision (40%)
• Works with business units to identify, improve, develop, and advocate new opportunities for products and services. Develops and manages portfolio of digital roadmaps and products.
• Gathers business requirements; understands and provides input into design and user experience requirements. Understands and provides input into technical requirements.
• Develops and gains approval for department strategies and prioritize tasks to support organization’s strategies to meet performance targets (e.g., financial targets, audience growth targets, etc.).
• Develops business plan and annual budget for digital products and services.
Oversees Day-to-Day Digital Operations (40%)
• Oversees the day-to-day operations, maintenance, and performance measurement of digital platforms.
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities of direct reports including planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Manages specified KPIs and collect data/feedback on digital performance against business goals.
Collaborates across Internal Teams and External Vendors to Achieve Goals (20%)
• Acts as liaison between departments and outside vendors for development and maintenance of website and other tech platforms (e.g., donations, CRM, etc.).
• Creates buy-in for the product vision with key internal and external partners.
• Drives dialog with Senior Leadership, internal engineering teams, external vendors, and program management to deliver integrated services that support achievement of our Strategic Business Plan.
• Supports change management and adoption of technology-related processes, tools and services.
Position reports to the President/General Manager with significant collaboration across the Executive team—Chief Content Officer and Chief Marketing Officer.
Initially, oversees two (2) Product Managers focused on Content and Audience Experience (Development, Marketing, and Business Revenue & Sponsorship), Director of Research and IT which includes an IT team of three (3) and Data team of three (3), Director, Digital Media, and Web Developer. Pending analysis of digital needs and budget capacity, may include additional Product /Project Managers and a Head of Tech Operations.
• A Bachelor's degree required; appropriate advanced degree (e.g., MS, MBS, MBA) preferred
• 10+ years’ experience in Product Management, Digital, E-Commerce, IT, and/or Digital Marketing; with at least 5+ years leading teams and managing vendors preferred.
• Experience building and fostering a strong product culture that rewards innovation, rapid testing, and continuous learning.
• High degree of business acumen and technical competency; ability to balance and bridge technology and business needs.
• Experience in managing, motivating and mentoring product management staff required.
• Budget creation and program tracking/analysis required.
• A demonstrated ability to lead in a team-oriented setting. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required, both written and oral.
• Deep knowledge of Salesforce and/or content management systems a plus.
• Familiarity with public media and/or journalism-focused goals, objectives and processes.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.