PRODUCER, The Record
Req #: 166072
Department: KUOW / PSPR
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Posting Date: 03/29/2019
Closing Info: Open Until Filled
Salary: Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Shift: First Shift
KUOW, licensed to the University of Washington, is the Puget Sound Region’s NPR-affiliated public radio service delivering local, regional, national and international news, information and cultural programming. With an audience of over one million users each month, KUOW’s mission is to create and serve a more informed public. Our vision is to broaden conversations and deepen understanding. KUOW strives to be the finest possible provider of news—both from within our region and beyond. To help in this mission, KUOW has an outstanding opportunity for a Producer (grade 6) to produce talk/web segments for KUOW’s local midday show, “The Record with Bill Radke.”
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Track news, research topics and pitch segment ideas based on KUOW editorial priorities.
- Pre-interview and book guests, provide host with background research.
- Write host copy and interview questions.
- Publish online content, possibly including social media posts.
- Gather sound and produce interviews in the field as assigned.
- Direct or call-screen the live broadcast as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Position reports to the Supervising Producer.
- Bachelor's degree and two years professional broadcast journalism experience.
- Background in talk radio or news magazine programming, call screening and live radio production.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, ability to write and produce effectively under deadline.
- Knowledge of current events and Northwest issues.
- Demonstrated high productivity and knowledge of professional broadcast and journalistic standards and practices.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, ability to professionally represent the station.
- Familiarity with and appreciation of public radio programming.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.