Marketing Communications Manager
Req #: 181509
Department: KUOW / PSPR
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Job Location Detail: U District
Posting Date: 08/11/2020
Closing Info: Open Until Filled
Salary: $4635/month - $5834/month + benefits
Shift: First Shift
KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio is Seattle’s NPR news station. We are an independent, nonprofit news organization producing award-winning journalism, podcasts and events in service to the 3.9 million people in our coverage area. As a self-sustaining service of the University of Washington, our mission is to create and serve a more informed public.
KUOW has an exciting opportunity for a Marketing Communications Manager to develop digital marketing content across the organization – finding better ways to engage existing and new audiences in order to make KUOW a brand more people love every day. The ideal candidate for this position is excellent writer and content creator, who can wear many hats to strategize and collaborate with diverse teams and is highly comfortable with digital marketing tools. This position will lead communications projects with various teams and develop content for a wide variety of projects including: podcast launches, digital advertising campaigns, social media campaigns, email marketing and fundraising campaigns, KUOW email newsletters, major donor appeals, press releases, and much, much more.
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND RACIAL EQUITY
KUOW and the University of Washington are equal opportunity employers. KUOW is dedicated to building a culturally diverse staff and creating a working environment that promotes racial equity and inclusiveness. We believe attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission. Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities and veterans are highly encouraged to apply.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Develop Strategies for Optimizing Digital Audience Engagement
- Work across the organization to develop, produce, oversee and analyze multi-channel digital audience engagement strategies
- A/B test different content approaches to optimize engagement, deliver value, and foster genuine human connection in a digital space
- Make strategic changes to email automation streams based on engagement data in collaboration with research team
Produce Marketing Copy and Content in Support of Audience Engagement Strategies
- Create marketing content across the organization that advances KUOW audience engagement goals. This position would lead communications projects with different teams. Examples:
Develop digital and print communications that deepen engagement with KUOW Members;
Develop and expand promotional content for Business Support unit (sales collateral, media kits, email campaigns);
Develop and optimize donor appeals, sponsorship collateral and digital donor communications;
Develop and expand KUOW marketing content, including social copy and content, press releases, on-air promo scripts, KUOW newsletters, and more;
Develop a promotion strategy and oversee promotional assets for KUOW Live Events team including social campaigns, print assets, creative show components, and more;
Develop presentation content, promotional and/or fundraising materials and one-sheets for the General Manager and Executive Team;
- Light design and graphic production work; collaborate with design team to execute a consistent brand look that, along with voice and tone, captures the essence of the KUOW brand … and amplifies it.
- Bachelor's degree and 2+ years’ experience in marketing communications or related work
- Passion for KUOW's mission to create and serve a more informed public
- Commitment to racial equity and ability to work with diverse teams
- Candidate should be an excellent writer and editor, with the ability to write in different voices for different audiences, self-edit and adapt style to KUOW’s voice and tone
- Candidate should be highly comfortable creating content for digital mediums such as social media and email marketing
- Experience working with email marketing tools such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, Marketo, HubSpot or Salesforce Marketing Cloud (KUOW uses Marketing Cloud, but experience in any email marketing tool is applicable)
- Highly collaborative with ability to partner with many different teams to achieve common goals
- Quick learner when it comes to new tools and/or software
- A good multitasker, able to balance and prioritize needs of different teams
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Familiarity with public media and/or experience working at media organization, whether in fundraising, marketing or editorial
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially PowerPoint and Word formatting tools
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud or comparable design software
- Experience with CRM systems
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.