IT Systems Technician
Req #: 170701
Department: KUOW / PSPR
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Job Location Detail: U District
Posting Date: 08/07/2019
Closing Info: Closes On 08/27/2019
Salary: $5,292 to $7,119/month, effective 7.1.2019
Union Position: Yes
Shift: First Shift
KUOW, licensed to the University of Washington, is the Puget Sound Region’s NPR-affiliated public radio service delivering local, regional, national and international news, information and cultural programming. With an audience of over one million users each month, KUOW’s mission is to create and serve a more informed public. Our vision is to broaden conversations and deepen understanding. KUOW strives to be the finest possible provider of news—both from within our region and beyond. To help in this mission, KUOW has an outstanding opportunity for an IT Systems Technician to support the entire KUOW department with information technology needs.
All duties and responsibilities are under the direction and review of KUOW's IT Systems Manager.
65% - Lead system installation or upgrade projects as assigned by the IT Systems Manager, including software systems, network and endpoint security, backup and redundancy infrastructure, broadcast technology systems, audio production studio systems, collaboration platforms, and work processes.
- Research and evaluation of options, in collaboration with other KUOW departments, external vendors and service providers, and/or UW tech support as needed.
- Presentation of options to the IT Systems Manager.
- Develop project plan to be approved by the IT Systems Manager.
- Collaborate with other KUOW and UW departments as needed.
- Provide testing and documentation.
- Assist with rollout, presentation, and training to other KUOW departments as needed.
10% - Installation, configuration, and maintenance of user, studio, and conference room workstations and peripherals.
- Confirm that KUOW hardware and software specifications will meet requirements, and recommend changes to the IT Systems Manager if needed.
- Install and configure operating system and software.
- Install and configure peripheral hardware, such as audio devices, computer monitors, keyboards, mice, etc.
- Perform maintenance, including operating system and software updates, and hardware replacement as needed.
10% - Technical support for all KUOW staff.
- Respond to help tickets and other requests.
- Respond immediately to any broadcast or production issues.
- Assist other technical staff as needed in emergencies.
- Recover items from backup as requested from users.
- Print services support, including installation, configuration, troubleshooting, and maintenance.
- Telephone system support, including installation, configuration, troubleshooting, and maintenance.
- Assist other KUOW departments with system installation, upgrading, or configuration.
5% - System administration:
- Create Active Directory accounts and Microsoft Exchange mailboxes for all new users per information from KUOW Finance department. Assign to distribution lists and permission groups. Assign remote access permissions.
- Modify existing accounts as requested.
- Remove accounts and mailboxes for departing employees.
- Configure and maintain security for users and endpoints.
5% - Network configuration, troubleshooting, and maintenance
- Configure KUOW network infrastructure under the direction of the IT Systems Manager, including software configuration, hardware installation and configuration, and cable installation.
- Troubleshoot network configuration issues including DNS and DHCP using Microsoft administrative tools.
- Troubleshoot remote access issues, including VPN and DirectAccess.
- Coordinate with UW Networking as needed.
5% - Provide staff training and documentation.
- Provide basic orientation for new users, and provide any additional training needed.
- Update KUOW IT handbook and other documentation as needed.
- One year of experience as a Computer Maintenance Technician II OR Five years of experience as a computer maintenance technician OR equivalent education/experience.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Experience managing and configuring Office 365.
- Experience with digital audio systems in a broadcast, studio, or live production environment.
- Ability to independently and creatively solve problems in a fast-paced diverse work environment.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs.