Natural Gas Safety
Thu December 27, 2012
State Commission Finds PSE At Fault For Gas Explosion
A state report has found Puget Sound Energy at fault for a gas explosion that injured two people in September 2011. The blast destroyed the North Seattle home of the Ingham family.
David Ingham had been in bed putting his socks on when his house exploded. He thought he had been thrust outside, but it turned out the walls around him had blown away. Ingham and his wife were both injured.
Ingham told investigators his wife had smelled gas the day before. So had others nearby. PSE surveyed the area the day before the explosion to look for a gas leak.
Joe Subsits is with the Washington State Utilities and Transportation Commission. "[PSE] missed some key sections when they did that survey. And I believe one of the key sections they missed, unfortunately, was the cul-de-sac where the explosion occurred," said Subsits.
KUOW asked PSE spokeswoman Terri-Ann Betancourt about the missed cul-de-sac. "I wouldn't characterize that as a mistake," she said. She said the explosion is still under investigation, but the Utilities and Transportation Commission said its investigation has concluded.
State utilities commissioners have not said whether they will enforce a penalty.
Fire Investigation Report