Wed December 5, 2012
Top Toy Picks For 2012
It's beginning to look like that time of year: frantic gift shopping, wrapping paper paper cuts and collecting wish lists. Are you finding yourself stumped by the expansive toy market? Have no fear, we're here to help! Allen Rickert of Top Ten Toys and Katherine Johnson of the Pacific Science Center stopped by Weekday to share their top toy picks for 2012.
Allen Rickert's Top Toy Picks for 2012:
- Pajaggle Game by Pajaggle (Age 4+)
- Kendama by Yomega (Age 12+)
- Seaplane by Green Toy (Age 1+)
- Puzzle Balls by Marusenko (Age 7+)
- Fish Shape Sorter by P'kolino (Age 6+)
- Bathtub Ball by Begin Again (Age 3)
- Eco Battery Vehicle by Thames & Kosmos (Age 10+)
- Make Your Own Birdhouse by Red Tool Box From Reeves (Age 8+)
- Puzzles of Africa, Asia, Europe etc. by GeoToys (Age 5+)
- Screws and Worm Drives by Engino (Age 6+)
- Solar System Mapping Tool by Education Insights (Age 7+)
Katherine Johnson's Top Toy Picks for 2012:
- Destruct 3 by Uncle Skunkle (Age 8+)
- Lily Ball by Odyssey (Age 14+)
- Levitron High Flyer by Fascinations (Age 6+)
- Egyptian Mummy Excavation Kit by Geo Central (Age 5+)
- Thunder Tube by American Science and Surplus (Age 3+)
- R/C Stunt Car by Odyssey (Age 5+)
- Imaginets by MindWare (Age 3+)
- Green Rocket
- Squishy T-Rex
- R/C Can Car
- Solar Modification Kit by SunMod (Age 1+)
- Butterfly Dress-Up Wings
- Astronaut Suit at Pacific Science Center (Ages 4-6)
As an added bonus, here are the top choices and informed opinions from a group of preschoolers at Global Garden International Preschool:
Lucas, age 3.75: His top choice is a Christmas train to circle the tree.
Mariko, age 5: She wants sticky hands and a replacement robot.
Olivia: She thinks thin fabric makes the best toy. (And yes, she wants to be a designer when she grows up.)
Jack: He wants nothing to do with girl toys, "like ponies and stuff."
Chloe, age 4.5: She declares the most boring toy to be the Ken doll.
Layla, age 4: She wants more Polly Pockets, and her favorite toy is her toy castle with Polly Pockets.