Musician John O'Regan was touring with his indie rock band when one night after a show he started having convulsions. He was rushed to the hospital where John wound up getting emergency treatment for Crohn's disease. O'Regan had to stay in the hospital for weeks. But all that time in spent recovering kick-started a surprising persona shift in his musical career.
In this excerpt from a longer interview with the CBC's Sook Yin lee, John O'Regan talked about what happened to him during his time spent healing, and what the experience helped him learn about himself and his music.
Other Stories On KUOW Presents:
- Warehouse 'Permatemps' Push Wal-Mart Accountability
- Experiments That Keep Going And Going And Going
- Electronic Pow Wow With ‘A Tribe Called Red’
- Lynda Barry On Writing The Unthinkable
- Toxic Triangle
- Arlo Guthrie On His Father’s Time In A Mental Institution
- Writer's Almanac
- True Colors
- Comeback Movies Of 2012
- Dan Savage On Same-Sex Marriage