Here Are Washington's New Prospective Charter Schools
Seven organizations have filed to open charter schools in Washington in the state’s second-ever round of applications.
The proposed schools include California-based charter chains… a bilingual school… and a school that would teach partly in sign language.
Three of the schools would be in Spokane, with the rest in Seattle, Sunnyside, and Pierce and Clark Counties.
Three of the groups had applied unsuccessfully to open schools last year.
The state’s charter school authorizers will decide which applications to approve, if any, by mid-October.
The state’s first charter schools are set to open this fall in Seattle and Spokane. Six more are slated to open next year.
Washington voters legalized publicly-financed, privately-run charter schools in 2012.
Here are the organizations that applied, and their proposed schools.
- Bilingual Charter Academy - Bilingual Charter Academy, Clark County
- Charter Schools of Sunnyside - Sunnyside Charter Academy, Sunnyside
- The Ducere Group - The Village Academy, Pierce County
- Green Dot Public Schools Washington State - Seattle Charter School, South Seattle
- iLEAD - iLEAD Spokane Charter School
- The Moose Project
- Spokane International Academy - Spokane International Academy