The mission of KUOW is to create and serve an informed public, one challenged and invigorated by an understanding and appreciation of events, ideas and cultures.
To accomplish our mission, KUOW:
- produces and acquires programming that meets the highest standards of journalism, cultural expression and entertainment;
- seeks advice and guidance from the community;
- provides a workplace that values professional growth, experimentation and cultural diversity;
- and utilizes state–of–the–art communication technologies.
The fundamental values that guide our mission are:
- respect for the intelligence of our listeners;
- relevance to the local community;
- accuracy, thoroughness and fairness in reporting;
- creative use of sound to engage the intelligence, curiosity and imagination of listeners;
- and non–commercial operation.
KUOW serves communities in the Puget Sound region, Western Washington and Southern British Columbia. The station is operated by KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio (PSPR) under an agreement with the University of Washington, KUOW's licensee. PSPR was established in 1999 and is a private, non–profit corporation governed by a community board.
KUOW has earned a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator every year since 2011.
More than 93 percent of KUOW's applied revenue comes from individual and business support, while the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) and the University of Washington provide 7 percent. The station employs 75 full–time employees; plus freelance reporters, part–time staff, interns and work–study students. Donor information, intern opportunities and employment opportunities are available on our website.
KUOW is a founding member of NPR; an affiliate of Public Radio International (PRI), American Public Media (APM), Public Radio Exchange (PRX), and the Northwest News Network (N3); and a member of the Associated Press (AP).
KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio board and committee meetings are open to the public.
Board meetings begin at 4 p.m., locations vary. If you wish to attend a board or committee meeting, please let us know. Due to space considerations your R.S.V.P. will help us to better plan for the comfort of external guests. Please contact Fieta Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.543.6784.
Board meetings scheduled in 2016:
- January 6 (Special meeting)
- January 7
- January 29 (Emergency meeting)
- February 10 (Special meeting)
- March 3
- May 19
- July 14
- September 15
- November 3 (Annual meeting)
Board committee meetings scheduled in 2016:
- 2/4 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
- 4/14 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
- 6/16 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
- 8/11 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
- 10/13 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
- 12/8 at TBD, 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- 2/10 at KUOW, 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- 3/30 at KUOW, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- 6/29 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
- 9/28 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
Finance & Audit*
- 1/21 at Bader Martin (Seattle office), 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- 4/25 at Garvey Schubert Barer Law (Seattle office), 2 - 3:30 p.m.
- 6/16 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
- 10/27 at Bader Martin (Seattle office), 2 - 3:30p.m.
- 2/1 at KUOW, 3 - 5 p.m.
- 3/24 at Columbia Center, 12:15 - 1 p.m.
- 7/21 at Dorsey & Whitney, 12 - 1 p.m.
- 8/8 teleconference, 2 - 3 p.m.
- 8/30 teleconference (contact Fieta Robinson for details: email@example.com or 206.543.6784), 12 - 1:30 p.m.
- 10/17 teleconference (contact Fieta Robinson for details: firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.543.6784), 12 - 1 p.m.
- 3/18 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
- 4/25 at Garvey Schubert Barer Law, 2 - 3 p.m.
- 8/26 at KUOW, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
Meetings of the Board of Directors and Board Committees or portions of those meetings at which matters relating to individual employees, proprietary information, or litigation, or certain other matters requiring the confidential advice of counsel, commercial or financial information obtained from a person on a privileged or confidential basis, or the purchase of property or services whenever the premature exposure of such purchase would compromise the business interests of Puget Sound Public Radio may be closed to the public pursuant to the Communications Act, 47 U.S.C. §396 (k)(4).
If such meetings or portions of those meetings are closed, the specific reason for closing a meeting or portion of a meeting will be made available at the KUOW station, within 10 days after each closed meeting or closed portion thereof.
* An Executive Session can be called at any time during the meeting pursuant to Washington State Law – RCW 42.30.110(1) based on the following criteria: To consider matters relating to individual employees, proprietary information, litigation, and other matters requiring the confidential advice of counsel, commercial or financial information obtained from a person on a privileged or confidential basis, or the purchase of property of services whenever the premature exposure of such purchase would compromise the business interests of any such organizations.
Annual reports and financial report available below. Hard copies of the KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio annual reports and audited financial reports may be obtained by calling 206.543.2710 or by writing to: KUOW/Puget Sound Public Radio, 4518 University Way NE, Suite 310, Seattle, WA 98105.
KUOW's 94.9 FM analog and HD Radio signals broadcast from Seattle's Capitol Hill with a power of 100,000 watts. KUOW also broadcasts from KQOW 90.3 FM in Bellingham. KUOW FM is simulcast on KUOW 1340 AM and serves Olympia and other communities in Thurston and Pierce Counties from our AM transmitter in Tumwater, Wash.
KUOW provides live streaming of 94.9 FM programming and more great public radio programs on KUOW2. KUOW2 is also broadcast on 90.7 FM in Bellingham.
Audio archives and podcasts of KUOW–produced programs and local and regional news from KUOW and the Northwest News Network (N3) are also available online.
KUOW built a new broadcast center in Seattle's University District in 1999. The station's major investment in this studio and office space reflects a continuing commitment to high quality, locally produced public–service programming. The $5 million project was financed by listener contributions and tax–exempt bonds.
Tours of KUOW’s broadcast facility are available to the general public Monday - Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Plans for regular "open house" style events in the evening are in the works! Check back here in the coming weeks for the latest details.
Reservations are required for all tours. Contact the KUOW front desk at 206.543.2710 or 1.866.820.9919, or email email@example.com to schedule your tour.
For more information, see KUOW station contacts or call 206.543.2710.